WEDNESDAY ~ 15/02/12
Today, we have two presentations. First presentation is about simple present tense by Elya's group, while other presentation is about present continuous tense by Dinie's group as well as me.
What is simple present tense??
Simple present used to :
- show habitual or regular action..e.g Jihan practices netball every Thursday.
- state a general truths, facts and scientific laws..e.g The suns rises in the east.
- to indicate future action..e.g Nolek arrives in Hawaii at 6 p.m.
- show permanent situations..e.g Poney works as waitress
- to give instructions or orders..e.g Never sleeps in my class.
For more information, click to this link : http://www.englishtenses.com/tenses/present_simple
What is present continuous tense??
Present continuous tense is mainly used to express the idea that something is happening at the moment of speaking. The Present Continuous also describes activities generally in progress (not at the moment). Another use of the tense is to talk about temporary actions or future plans.
Uses of present continuous tense are :
1) Present actions..e.g He is eating a dinner.
2) Temporary actions..e.g Mary is working at McDonald's. (She is only working there only duriing holidays)
3) Longer actions in progress..e.g They are working hard to earn money.
4) Future (personal) arrangements and plans..e.g I'm meeting Katie in the evening.
5) Tendencies and trends..e.g Our country is getting richer.
6) Irritation..e.g My boss is constantly critising me!
For more information, click to this link : http://www.englishtenses.com/tenses/present_continuous